We strive to showcase a diverse cross-section of family life. The gritty, the beautiful, and the highs and lows, all through a well-curated collection of award-winning photographs.
Final Deadline September 15, 2020
Closes @ 11:59pm PDT (GMT-7)
7 categories / live-streamed judging / Over $2800 in cash prizes
Guest & Live Broadcast Judges
How To Enter
- Collect your favourite photos that match each category
- 12 photos per single image category and up to 8 photos per series
- Resize your photos to 2000px on the long side… (Get More Info)
- Submit your free entry option and additional paid entries with one form.
One free entry per photographer.
Submit 6 more photos for $36. Additional photos $2.50 each.
Additional series $32 each. 8 photos per series.
Black Lives Matter
In this open-ended category we are looking for photographs that focus on black lives. Submissions may encompass family life, the larger family of a community or your interpretation of this theme. Our intention for this category is to create a space where photography is used to humanize black families.
Note: All submissions to the Black Lives Matter category are free because it is not our intention to benefit financially from the Black Lives Matter movement.
Consider how details, family scenes, relationships and emotions have all been affected by the COVID-19 virus. Submissions in this category may also include self-portraits… read full description
The Unconventional Portrait
An opportunity to submit photographs that capture a person’s essence in a more artful, abstract, straightforward or conceptual way.… read full description
Photographs that represent not just the final moments of labor but also the supporting events and landmarks that lead towards a child being born… read full description
Nothing is better than real life
Show us all aspects of family life through your photos; the wild, the beautiful, the highs and lows … read full description
Cell Phone Only
(taken on your phone)
Family documentary work both personal and professional, created with your phone’s camera… read full description
The freedom to tell larger stories, show growth and change in your subjects, or simply provide a broader perspective on a topic.…read full description
Prizes and Benefits include:
- $2,800 USD total cash prizes
- Top 10 Winners will be published in our year-end magazine
- All Top 10, Best Overall, Judges Choice, Honorable Mentions and Finalist images will be exhibited in our permanent online gallery
- All award-winners will receive a photographer profile on the DFA site, with links to websites and social media
- Award-winners have the opportunity to be featured in Interviews and Photographer Spotlights
- Award-winning photographs are frequently promoted across our online platforms and press releases
- All award-winners will receive a personalized press-release for sharing in local publications or online newspapers
- Included with every submission is life-time access to the current live-streamed judging recording ($89 USD value)
- All award-winners and honorable mentions will receive a Digital Award Badge for use on your website or social media
Watch Judging Online
We recognize the educational value of transparency and so once again our final decision process will be live-streamed. Entrants will be able to access the video at any time after the live judging.